Thursday 23 April 2015

I'd Really Love To Read Books, But...

I have read books all of my life. 


At my bedside, there is always a pile of books so that once I lie down on my bed, I pick one up to read. As I go about my work rounds, I have a book with me. On my way to a meeting, while I'm waiting for a meeting to start, I read. When I have an issue on my mind which I want resolved, but can't figure how to resolve it, I pick up a relevant book and read. When I need to learn a new skill I look for a book that explains how to do it and read.



For a long time, I have assumed that this way of reading books works for everyone. When I started this blog, I purposed to write about the books I read, reviewing them with a view to encouraging others to read too. This has shown me that I have a very haphazard reading pattern. I look at various books at the same time. I start one and read a few pages, maybe chapters and then move on to another. I now realise that I have in reality read bits here and there of many books.



In my post, I'm at the Starting Block...,I made a public commitment in 2014, to read for 15 minutes each day starting from August 1, 2014. I do long to really keep this commitment. My desire is to blog about the books I read. Nine months later, I am still struggling with finding the "appropriate" time to read books in a structured disciplined manner. I am also still struggling with picking up a book to read and staying with it to the last page. So instead of blogging about the books I've read, I am writing about my journey to establish a regular habit of reading books. In a way, this journey is helping me to understand that, perhaps, many people who appear not to read books do read. It may be that, that as it is with me, they have a personal style.


It's not all gloomy news. Blogging reminds me of the reason I made the commitment in the first place - to share my love for reading and the lessons I learn as I read books. As I sit to write my posts, I have an opportunity to review my progress towards the achievement of this objective and to revise my strategy for doing so. I recognise now that I need to be more intentional about my efforts if I really want to get to my desired goal.  Nana Fredua-Agyeman's "A Reader's Tips to Cultivate a Reading Habit" has provided me some insight into the steps I should take. Some of these are:

  • Identifying a specific area of interest for my reading habit
  • Developing a specific strategy to drive my reading habit.
  • Being disciplined and consistent in implementing that strategy
  • Keeping company with other people who have or are cultivating the habit of reading books.
I am renewing my commitment to read books. I will persevere until I see the light at the end of the tunnel. I invite you come along with me on this journey. 





No comments:

Post a Comment